Child proofing your home should be done before the baby is even born. Once the baby arrives you will find little time if any to do anything but care for the new baby. If the baby has already arrived and you don’t have time to do your own child proofing at home you may want to consider hiring a baby proofing or child proofing service to do it for you.
If you have areas of concern you will want to make a list of those areas and be sure to share them with the child proofing service when you hire them. In most cases it won’t be necessary though because child proofing services usually know what they are doing.
Some of the basic areas that will need to be covered include:
- Electrical outlet covers or plates
- Cover all sharp corners with bumpers (coffee table, entertainment center)
- Cupboard door and drawer safety latches
- Cabinet locks
- Stove knob covers
- Stove burner covers
- Secure the range to the wall to prevent tip overs
- Installing door finger guards
- Door knob covers
- Toilet seat latch
- Bathtub spigot cover
- Safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs
- Moving chemicals from under the sink to an upper cupboard
- Securing the television and other heavy appliances to the wall with safety straps
- Have pool fences installed
While this is not a complete list of things to do, it is a great start. With just a little effort you can make your home baby proof in just a few short days. It is far better to take the time to baby proof your home than to spend time in the emergency room because of the accident that could have been avoided.
However, just because you baby proofed your home in the very beginning doesn’t mean that you don’t need to be vigil against hazards. Every day there will be things that will pose a threat to your child. You will need to consider the dangers of everything that your baby comes into contact with. Once you become accustomed to thinking in terms of baby safety it will become second nature.